250g butter, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flourExtra flour for rolling
Extra caster sugar for sprinkling
1. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with a wooden spoon and stir until dough comes together
3. Cut dough in half. Roll each piece of dough out between 2 sheets of baking paper (this stops sticking to the bench during hot summer) to 1cm thick. Place in freezer 10 minutes to firm slightly.
4. Use 5cm star cutter (dip in flour to prevent sticking) to cut dough into shapes. Sprinkle top with a little extra caster sugar, then place shapes onto lines baking trays and freeze for 30 minutes until firm. Press dough together and repeat using all the dough.
5. Preheat oven 160C/140 degrees fan forced. Bake frozen shortbread for 25-30 minutes or until light golden colour. Allow shortbread to cool completely to prevent it breaking.